5 things to know about The Treasury on the Plaza in St. Augustine
Built in 1926, 24 Cathedral Place in St. Augustine is a historical landmark as well as the skyline’s tallest building. Here are five things to know about one of downtown’s oldest structures.
First National Bank of St. Augustine
Originally the First National Bank of St. Augustine, the building was designed by architect F.A. Hollingsworth, according to a Florida Master Site File historic properties inventory form. Construction began in 1926, soon after the Bridge of Lions was started. The bank went under following the stock market crash of 1929, and the building was later acquired by the Exchange Bank (1939), the Atlantic Bank (1970), the First Union National Bank (1985), and was sold later that year to private investors.
24 Cathedral Place renovation:St. Augustine businessman plans to turn city’s tallest building into hotel
St. Augustine’s tallest building
At eight stories high, the Mediterranean Revival-style building it is the tallest in St. Augustine, according to a Florida Master Site File historic properties inventory form. “Mediterranean elements include the clay tile hoods above the first-floor doors and windows, cast terra cotta ornamentation, stucco exterior, wrought iron-balconets, crenellated parapet and ceramic tile … The domed tower above consists of a row of Corinthian columns separated by a row of arched windows. The building faces the Plaza, dominating the skyline.”
One Treasury on the Plaza
It’s home to One Treasury on the Plaza, a full-service wedding venue located in the lobby of what was once a 1920s bank. Facing the Plaza de la Constitución, it is one of the city’s largest venues. The bar is located in the original bank vault from 1927.
It’s on the National Register of Historic Places
According to the Treasury on the Plaza website, “throughout its history, the building has served as a space for art and cultural exhibits, historical shows, community gatherings, and as a symbol of prosperity for the city.” The building is listed on The National Register of Historic Places in honor of both its “architectural and historical significance” to Northeast Florida.
The building still has many of its original features
Wells Fargo bank occupied The Treasury building until 2013, when it moved across the Plaza de la Constitucion into the old Woolworth building, according to the Treasury on the Plaza website. The entire first floor was renovated in 2014 to transform the space into an event venue. “While many modern amenities were added, showcasing the venue’s history as a bank was of utmost importance,” the website states. “The original 1920s marble flooring, the eight towering Romanesque columns, architectural details, and other materials were kept to create authenticity.”